CMHA BC, with support from the Ministry of Health, has developed the information sharing best practice guides below.
These guides are to serve as reference tools for practitioners, individuals and families that access the mental health and substance use system of care. The purpose of the guides is to improve understanding and application of BC’s privacy legislation.
In addition to the best practice guides, three fact sheets have been created to support people with lived experience, families, and service providers in knowing their rights to information, understanding requests for information, disclosure of personal health information and consent, and finding other resources and information they may need.
The resources are as follows:
- Information Sharing in the Context of Mental Health and Substance Use in BC
- Information Sharing in the Context of Child and Youth Mental Health and Substance Use in BC
- Best Practices for Service Providers: Privacy and Information Sharing – Fact Sheet
- Information Sharing for Young People – Fact Sheet
- Privacy for Parents and Caregivers – Fact Sheet