You are currently on the:CMHA National
Visit our provincial websites
Apr 13, 2022
Y-Mind Teens a program for teens who experience stress, worry, and/or mild to moderate symptoms of anxiety. The curriculum offers tools and strategies from Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) as well as mindfulness. The group will take a strength based approach and assumes participants have been trying their best to cope with their symptoms of stress, worry and mild-moderate anxiety. The tools and strategies provided in this curriculum offers new approaches to coping. Participants will be encouraged to approach these new tools with an open mind, and a willingness to try them; but, ultimately each participant will decide for themselves.
CMHA Kootenays has partnered with the East Kootenay Addiction Service Society and the YMCA of Greater Vancouver to deliver this 7 week group for teens aged 13-18. This program is offered at no cost, and will provide participants with 7 sessions over 7 weeks. Please note, this is a closed program, and requires participants to be committed to attending these 7 weeks. The sessions will run for about 1.5 hours, and dinner will be provided at each session.
Who would be an ideal fit for these sessions?
1) Teens aged 13-18 years of age
2) They express anxiety is a primary concern and their anxiety is within a mild to moderate range
3) Their schedule will allow for punctual attendance of all 7 group sessions
4) They are comfortable or open to work within a group environment
5) They are at a cognitive learning comprehension level to be able to interpret metaphors, conceptualize and discuss concepts, and apply them to situational experiences
6) They value open mindedness and respect for others’ opinions and experiences and are willing to help foster a safe space for group members to share and receive support
The motto of Y-Mind is “take what works for you, and leave what doesn’t”
For more information and how to enroll, contact firstname.lastname@example.org